Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Black Bean Soup with Cheese Quesadillas

Being sick of leftover lasagna from a week ago and also in the mood for "Fall" comfort food, I decided to make Black Bean Soup last night for dinner. The spouse requested quesadillas as well, so I used up some leftover pepper-jack cheese slices from when we made burgers and grilled 'em up on the George.

In true "What Recipe?" fashion, below is my best estimation of what I used.

Black Bean Soup
1 cup medium salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed*
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth

Warm salsa in medium saucepan. Add in broth and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, divide in half.

Place half the soup in a blender and toss in the freezer to cool (about 10 minutes). Blend until thick. Add back to saucepan with remaining soup and heat through. Serve with sour cream, cilantro and lime wedge for garnish.

* The last time I made this The Spouse said it was thicker. I can't remember but it's possible I didn't drain or rinse the beans that time, so you could try that if you'd like.

No comments: