Monday, September 17, 2007

Vodka Pasta with Soy Crumbles and Sweet Potato Gratin

I've been trying to convince my husband to try soy crumbles for over a year now. He's flat out refused until recently when I made a frittata using them. He couldn't get over how good it smelled and looked - he didn't get to sample any though since it was for a brunch elsewhere.

So, now that I had his curiosity piqued, I decided to give it a go and ease him into the joys of meatless meat. I had some leftover diced olives and artichokes from a pizza I'd made earlier in the week, so I used those up as well.

Vodka Pasta with Soy Crumbles
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 can diced olives
1/2 can diced artichoke hearts
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
1 pkg Soy Crumbles
italian seasoning
hot pepper flakes
vodka

Heat pan and add olive oil to it. SauteƩ onions and garlic until soft. Add in diced olives and artichokes and sauteƩ another minute or two. Add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, crumbles, seasoning, pepper flakes and vodka. Simmer until heated thru, about 10 minutes. Serve over al dente pasta of your choice.

The Sweet Potato Gratin recipe was originally from Real Simple but high in fat and calories. I halved the butter and cheddar and used skim milk instead. Turned out just fine.

Suggested Wine: Purists would suggest that having a vodka martini is the way to go. But for those who would prefer something a bit more refined, you can't go wrong with a Chianti.

No comments: