Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Spicy Oven-Baked Fries

I've made oven-baked fries before, but this one is my own particular invention. I've been wanting to try these forever. The secret is in the spices - I used harissa, which a dear friend brought back for me from Morocco. It gives it a completely different flavor than plain cayenne. You generally see harissa as a paste or sauce - this is the hot chile powder mixture that is used to make that. I have no idea where you can find it in the dry form, but there are various recipes online for the paste that one could use as a starting point.

Spicy Oven-Baked Fries

4 medium Yukon gold potatoes
spray oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
harissa

Preheat oven to 500ºF. Dice the potatoes into wedges. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray with oil, place potato wedges on the foil, spray the wedges. Liberally sprinkle with the spices. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are done.

No comments: