Monday, January 5, 2009

Pork Schnitzel

I don't think I mentioned my cooking-related gifts this year.

My brother - who had my name in our family exchange - got me a mandonline and a 8-jar gift box from Penzey's that I think he put together himself (at least, I don't see it anywhere on Penzey's website).

And my friend got me a subscription to Cook's Illustrated.

Which leads me to dinner I cooked on Saturday. I didn't realize this at the time but Pork Schnitzel is a recipe in this month's Cook's Illustrated. However, I did my own version (which does not involve frying anything in 2 cups of oil). Below is what I did.

Pork Schnitzel

2 pork loin chops, butterflied
1/2 cup flour
~1 tbsp Sunny Paris seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil

3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup lemon juice
salt & pepper
dry white wine (optional)
capers (optional)

Place the pork loin chops underneath wax paper. Pound with meat mallet until to 1/4" thick. If necessary to fit cutlets in pan, slice in half. Combine flour and seasoning. Dredge pork cutlets thru flour mixture.

Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and heat thru until shimmery. Add 2 cutlets to pan, sauteeing on both sides about 2-3 minutes. Set aside and keep warm. Add remaining oil to pan, add remaining cutlets, repeat.

Combine broth and lemon juice and deglace pan. Bring mixture to a boil, add salt, pepper, wine and capers (if using). Return pork to pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer until pork is cooked thru. Remove pork from pan, turn heat to high and, stirring constantly, reduce sauce to about 1/4 cup. Plate pork, drizzle sauce over top, and serve.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That sunny paris seasoning sounds great with this! I haven't even opened up my CI mag this month so I'm glad you posted this as a reminder! I'll have to make pork schnitzel soon!