Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Five-Spice White-Chocolate Scones

I could have sworn I'd put this recipe in my blog ages ago. But when I went to look for it on Sunday, I realized I hadn't. Good thing I remembered it (more or less).

I'm sure people may have noticed by now but I don't do a whole lot of baking. For a few reasons.

A) The Spouse and I don't eat a lot of junk food. And, in our opinion, muffins, brownies, cookies, etc. fall into that category. So the idea of baking cookies really just doesn't occur to us since we don't eat them.

B) I hate fruit*. So blueberry muffins or cherry tarts will never appear here. Ever. ::shudder::

But every once in a while I like making a nice breakfast. And my scones are an easy default. There's something to be said for sitting on the porch, sipping coffee, listening to jazz, reading the paper and nibbling on a scone hot from the oven.

So, this is my basic scone recipe with a few twists.

Five-Spice White-Chocolate Scones

2 cups all purpose unbleached organic flour
1/4 cup Splenda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tsp Five-Spice Powder
4 tbsp Smart Balance, cold and cut into pieces
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup buttermilk substitute
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Preheat oven temperature to 400ยบ F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and five-spice powder. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture until the mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Stir in the white chocolate chips and walnuts. In a small measuring cup combine the buttermilk with the maple syrup and then add to the flour mixture, stirring just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix the dough.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently four or five times and then pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round and about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut this circle in half, then cut each half into 3 pie-shaped wedges. You will have 6 scones altogether. Place the scones on the baking sheet.

Bake for about 16 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.

* The exception to the fruit-hating rule are lemons and limes. That's it.

No comments: