Thursday, July 24, 2008

Why befriend your local butcher

The Spouse and I are lucky to live less than a mile from a really fantastic butcher. We shop there all the time. Their quality of meat is ten times better than anything at the grocery store. And they're less expensive to boot.

Yesterday I was running late to pick up meat for a party we're having tomorrow. They close at 6pm and I think I sprinted in the door at 5:50. Behind the counter was my usual guy - 9 times out of 10, he's the one who helps me.

So, promising to get out of their hair as soon as I could, I started rattling off the things I needed - 4lb boneless chuck roast, 3 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, a bone for the dog, and then I had a coupon for "Spend $30 get 1lb brats free".

The boneless chuck rang up at $8.89 (so, $2.23/lb). The chicken breasts at about the same (so about $3/lb). Total cost, including Lucky's bone, was $28.84. I start glancing around to find something else we could need to go over the $30 mark when he said "Don't worry about it. You're in here all the time." and packaged up my pound of brats.

So I basically got 8 lbs of meat, plus a bone, for $29. I.Love.Our.Butcher.

No comments: