Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sukuma Wiki

This is a dish I "got" from my sister. At the beginning of the summer I gave her a bunch of collards and kale, which she said she'd turn into Sukuma Wiki. It's a staple in Kenya, where she and her husband served in the Peace Corps. Literally translated, sukuma wiki means "stretch the week".

I asked what all went in it and she said "Take a bunch of greens, a chile or two, some tomatoes, some other things and stew it all day long." Recipes aren't quite as accurate when you have to make due with what you've got.

I just finished harvesting the last of the collards today, so I've got this going in the crockpot.

Sukuma Wiki

12 large collard leaves
1 onion, chopped
1 green chile, seeded and minced
4-5 tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Remove the stems from the collards. Chiffonade the greens.

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot or stock pot. Turn heat to low and let stew several hours or until greens are tender.

No comments: